Errata – Investigation of Microcystin Congener–Dependent Uptake into Primary Murine Neurons
Environ Health Perspect 121:a73–a73 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1289/ehp.121-a73 [Online 1 March 2013]
Feurstein et al. have reported errors in their paper “Investigation of Microcystin Congener–Dependent Uptake into Primary Murine Neurons” [Environ Health Perspect 118:1370–1375 (2010)]: In “Materials and Methods” under “PP [protein phosphatase] activity after exposure to single MC congeners” (p. 1371), some of the concentrations given for enzyme solution buffer and reaction buffer represent stock concentrations instead of final concentrations.
The corrected text is as follows:
Cells were exposed to varying concentrations of single MC congeners for 48 hr and solubilized in 50 µL enzyme solution buffer [52 mM Tris-HCl (pH 7.0), 0.1 mM ethylene glycol tetraacetic acid, 1 mM dithiothreitol (DTT; in 0.01 M sodium acetate, pH 5.2), 2 mM manganese chloride (MnCl2)]. Protein concentrations were determined using the method of Bradford (1976). Subsequently, 20 µL of each sample (containing 10 µg total protein) was transferred to a 96-well plate, and an equal volume of water was added. To determine PP activity, 200 µL freshly prepared and prewarmed (37°C) substrate solution containing reaction buffer [125 mM Tris-HCl (pH 8.1), 0.4 mM MnCl2, 52 mM magnesium chloride, 1 mg/mL bovine serum albumin (BSA)], 60 mM p-nitrophenyl phosphate (pNPP; Acros Organics, Morris Plains, NJ, USA), and 2 mM DTT were added and immediately measured at 405 nm (TECAN infinite M200; TECAN, Craislheim, Germany) to determine the 0-time value.
These changes do not affect the results or conclusions of the paper.
The authors regret the errors.
The January news article “Beyond Uncertainty Factors: Protecting the Tails of the Bell Curve” [Environ Health Perspect 121:A26–A29 (2013)] incorrectly cited the 1997 book Our Stolen Future as the source of the figures and related quotation on p. A28. The figures and quotation actually came from the website http://www.ourstolenfuture.org/ and were developed by John Peterson Myers, a coauthor of the 1997 book. However, they did not appear in the book itself.
EHP regrets the error.
Sign Up to Receive E-mail Alerts
Recent Advance Publications
- Hemodynamic, Autonomic, and Vascular Effects of Exposure to Coarse Particulate Matter Air Pollution from a Rural Location
- Ciguatera Fish Poisoning and Climate Change: Analysis of National Poison Center Data in the United States, 2001–2011
- Survey of County-Level Heat Preparedness and Response to the 2011 Summer Heat in 30 U.S. States
- Ambient Air Pollution and Depressive Symptoms in Older Adults: Results from the MOBILIZE Boston Study
- The Human Early-Life Exposome (HELIX): Project Rationale and Design
- Epigenetic Influences on Associations between Air Pollutants and Lung Function in Elderly Men: The Normative Aging Study
- Associations between Traffic Noise, Particulate Air Pollution, Hypertension, and Isolated Systolic Hypertension in Adults: The KORA Study
- AdvPubl: Hemodynamic, autonomic, and vascular effects of exposure to coarse particulate matter http://t.co/l1vG8fAh1Z
- AdvPubl: Ciguatera fish poisoning and climate change: analysis of National Poison Center data in the U.S., 2001-2011 http://t.co/nAhanlvFou
- AdvPubl: Survey of county-level heat preparedness and response to the 2011 summer heat in 30 U.S. states http://t.co/P5GlMLp5N7
- EHPNoonNews: NewScientist—Four banned ozone depleters detected in the atmosphere http://t.co/QtAiildPEf
- EHPNoonNews: DailyMail—'WiFi refugees' relocate to radio-free town in West Virginia http://t.co/esdjEwfm9Q